It’s simple to add ICE (In Case of Emergency) data on your phone. This allows for others to access emergency contact and important medical information from your phone’s lock screen. In an emergency this information can be retrieved without allowing access to your phone’s other information.
Here’s how below for iPhone and Android users.
- Open the "Health" app and
- If prompted, tap "Create Medical ID". If not prompted, tap on your initials in the corner
- Tap "Medical ID" > "Edit"
- Enter any information that you would like to be available to an emergency responder (name, photo, medical conditions, notes, allergies & reactions, medications, blood type, organ donor, weight, height, primary language)
- Choose your emergency contacts. These will need to be people who are already in your phone’s contacts list
- Ensure "Show When Locked" is turned on. This will allow your Medical ID information to be accessible from your iPhone's lock screen
- Choose if you want to share your Medical ID when Emergency Services is called
- Tap "Done" when you are finished
To view your Medical ID from your iPhone’s lock screen:
- Hold down the power and up or down volume button or power and home button
- Medical ID will appear
- Slide to view it
There are a couple of ways to set up ICE contact information on an Android phone.
First, you can add your info to the emergency information feature:
- Open the "Settings"
- Tap "User & Accounts" > "Emergency Information"
- To enter medical information, tap "Edit information" (you may have to tap "Info" first)
- There's a separate section where you can enter emergency contacts. To do this, tap "Add Contact" to add someone from your contacts list
Another option is to add your ICE info directly to the lock screen. Android lets you put any message you want on your lock screen.
- Start by opening "Settings"
- Tap "Security & Location"
- Next to "Screen Lock", tap "Lock Screen Message"
- Enter the information you want displayed, such as your primary emergency contact and any medical conditions
To view your ICE information on your Android:
- Swipe up on the lock screen
- Tap "Emergency" > "Emergency information"