The Sonim XP Strike is a perfect starter phone for your child or tween because of its small size and simple Parental Controls. It gives parents control over their child’s phone calls and text messaging. Here are some of the options available:
With this option OFF, the phone can make and receive calls to/from any number.
With this option ON, the parent has two different options for the call restrictions: allowed numbers and all contacts.
- Allowed Numbers – this setting will let the parent select numbers from the phone’s contact list that are able to call the phone. Additionally, the phone can only make calls to these designated numbers (and 911).
- All Contacts – this setting will let any number programmed into the phone’s contact list call the phone, and the phone can make a call to any of these numbers (and 911).
- Please note that if Voice calls are restricted, voicemail cannot be accessed through the “1” key shortcut. Also, you will no longer be able to add, edit, or delete contacts.
With this option OFF, the phone can send and receive text messages to/from any number.
With this option ON, the phone cannot send text messages. It can still receive text messages from any number.
Location (Force GPS On)
Location/GPS on the Sonim Strike is for emergency service tracking only (police department, first responders, etc). The Location/GPS built in the Sonim XP Strike cannot be used for parents to track the location of their child.
With this option OFF, the phone cannot be located remotely.
With this option ON, the phone can be located using triangulation. This is only used by authorities and cannot be accessed by Twigby or other third parties.
Please follow these steps to turn on your Sonim XP Strike’s Limit Use (parental controls):
- Go to the Menu
- Select Settings (this is a gear icon)
- Scroll down and select Limit Use
- The default setting will be “Off”. To turn it on, simply select the “On/Off” option and then scroll up and select “On”.
- You will be asked to enter a 4-digit code. This is how the limit use is changed or turned off. Make sure to select a code you will remember, and that the child does not know. You will need to enter this 4-digit code every time you want to enter the Limit Use menu.
- You will be asked to enter the code again to confirm it.
- Now you will be taken back to the Limit Use menu page.
- Select Restriction.
- A message will appear letting you know what options on the phone you will be able to limit. These include: voice calls, messages, browser, and force GPS on. Select OK.
- You will be presented with these options in a menu. Select the option that you would like to restrict, and then use the “OK” button to select the desired setting.
- If you are choosing the Allowed Contacts options in the Voice Calls section, simply use the “OK" button to select each contact who is allowed, and you will see a check mark appear by the name. Then click done.
To deactivate Limit Use (parental controls):
- Select Menu, and scroll to the Settings.
- Scroll Down to the limit use option.
- Enter the 4-digit code that you used when setting up Limit Use and select “OK”.
- Select “On/Off”, and then select off. Limit Use should now be turned off.